Saturday, January 22, 2011

Weekends for Milkman

Most folks look forward to the weekend, whether they work or not. The weekends are important to us, for different reasons. Some to relax, some to go places and travel, for others to be with their families. My reasons at one time, was to have time to visit the local pub and not have to worry about getting my drinking/druging time interrupted by inconvienent things like work, family, or responsibilities. That was my life then, and ya better have watched out if ya got in my way.

Today, going on 11 years later, my reasons have changed dramatically, as has my life as well. Today, I look forward to weekends as a time to relax, enjoy my family, do some needed chores around the house and find some peace and serenity. I have time, as I'm doing now, to write down my thoughts and gratitude about this way of living, hoping that some of what I might write, might influence someone else to change "their ways", find their true self, and enjoy life, without the use of alcohol and/or drugs.

It's easy to get caught up in that world of addiction, and sometimes tough to find your way out, but with some Openmindedness, Honesty and Willingness, it CAN be done, even without hitting a "bottom".

I find my peace of mind and meditation in going for walks with my dog, driving 20 miles to an AA/NA meeting, being alone for awhile so that I can gather my thoughts. Being alone so that I can get in touch with a "higher power" which can guide me though my day. Enjoying the world as God meant it to be. Being aware of my surroundings, my family, my home. Being there when someone needs help. Thinking of how I can become a better human being. Thinking of the mistakes I might have made during the week and finding ways of changing some of those ways. It's really great to be able to enjoy and remember my life, as it turns.

Here's a couple of pictures I took this morning on my walk and I'm sure I wouldn't even be aware of what's in them or remember the thoughts they gave me, had I not been clean and sober:

A Bird at peace put ME at peace, within myself.

A Little "Alone" time


Searching for tranquility



Road to Serenity

It's really great to be out in nature. I live in the City of Napa, but we found this little piece of land that we can enjoy, and do so every chance we get.
 
Peace and love to all
 
Milkman Mike

No comments: