Saturday, January 7, 2012

Milkman's Reflections - Jan 7 - AA didn't get me sober

Milkman's Reflections - Jan 7 - AA didn't get me sober

I read an interesting aritcle with the above title. After reading it, it reaffirmed what I thought. AA did not get me sober, it helped me STAY sober.
I was given some help on how I GOT sober, by the State of California, with a 3 year prison program sentence of which I did about 2 1/2 years including the after care programs. I had been in prison before and jails numerous times throughout my life, and always went back to drinking/drugging with released. This time was different.
While in the program, I was exposed to recovery processes and the 12 Steps daily. I was one of those that needed these things drilled into me for a lengthy time. Kind of like "Act as If", or "fake it till you make it" type of thing.
When I was finally released, I was scared, as I knew that if I went back to drinking again, I would end up back in prison or die! I started going to meetings on a daily basis, and started applying the 12 steps in my life. THIS is what keeps me sober. Living life on life's terms and keeping the 12 steps close by daily. Commitment, responsiblity and applying what I learn in life on doing good. There are days when I falter in these, but with the help of the 12 steps and other things I've learned, I manage to get thru the day using these tools, and remain sober/clean.
AA/NA and the 12 steps helped me stay sober/clean yesterday, and thru God's will, and my recovery tools, I'll make it thru today without a drink or drug.
For those that still may be OUT there, you need to stop drinking/drugging (even for a few hours), and then let the program and 12 steps help you STAY that way for the rest of the day, one day at a time. If you apply the 12 steps in your life, you MAY remain that way again for tomorrow. YOUR CHOICE!

No comments: